Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Scholar Activism - GLASS

Reading these pieces and thinking about my own work, I have one question that continuously comes to mind.

Often times, particularly in research around gender and sexualities, the topic matter in our research is quite sensitive. Particularly in the research I do around midwives, as well as the research I want to do around lactating mothers, it is particularly important to maintain confidentiality. On the other hand, particularly after taking this class, I want to let me respondents aid me in guiding my research in a way that is useful for them. Is there a way to make this kind of research "safe" so that readers (and governments!) can't "guess" who the subjects of your study are and potentially target them?

In thinking about my research with midwives, the pool is so small that any "telling" markers could give away the respondent. Likewise, research around mothers who seek blackmarket medications to induce lactation could have potential life-changing implications that could include incarceration and removal of their children. I am wondering how to work with these populations and retain their safety at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment